Monday, March 22, 2010

Home Again

I took a couple days, but I am standing at my keyboard typing (it's more comfortable that way.

Things went great. The doctor was able to do the surgery with nerve sparing which means great prognosis for the removal of the cancer and one aspect of life with less possibility of changes in the long run. Final results will be the biopsy results in about a week from surgery.

It's been three days since surgery. I'm sour but not in pain. The meds help, but I'm on half doses and it is doing the job.

Laying and sleeping is the easiest, but even that gets uncomfortable. Plenty of other things to do. I am actually liking getting up and walking around.

Surgery was scheduled for 1:00 but I think it started closer to 2:00 I didn't get to my room until after 7:00. I needed to be up walking before they would send me home. I tried to get up and walk after midnight, but couldn't get past the nausea. "Slept" for 5 hours and tried again before 6:00. And got the get out of jail free card.

The hospital is a great place to spend the night if you have complications. Not great if you are trying to get some rest. I was OK with them checking vitals, changing bags, etc. What was tough was every 20 minutes more or less a set of loud tones would play "Mary Had a Little Lamb". (I am not making this up.) Sometimes it played longer and sometimes shorter. It wasn't until I talking to my daughter Katherine that she figured out it was likely a bed alarm to alert the hospital staff someone was trying to escape from their bed. (It wasn't me. I was happy where I was.) It sounded like the staff was getting a full workout that night. No wonder the nurse was happy that I could get up and walk.

Doing good and feeling better all the time.

Thanks for all your prayers and words of encouragement.

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Good news indeed! God is good. I suspect the recovery is tougher than the surgery. Resist the urge to go faster-harder-higher than what was ordered by the doctors. Inactivity or boredom is only temporary; time is your friend here. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete