One of the guys from church (Faith) who is also a survivor encouraged me to come to prostate support group he attends once a month at the Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle. We carpooled there last Thursday. Eight guys were there including a retired doctor who is also a survivor. Often they have a speaker or some form of information planned. This time we just talked and shared our stories of where we have been and where we are at. One of the guys that was there had the same surgery that I will be having. While no one's story will be the same, it was good to hear from someone who had been down that path. Hearing the stories of the others assured me that given all the options the way I have chosen is the right one for me. Thanks Dave for getting me there.
Yesterday ended up being a very real day for me. Tears over what would have been a minor disappointment. A friend and sister in Christ, Shelly, was there to ask what was really going on. It started a number of conversations throughout the rest of the day (one in letter form with myself) about what's happening emotionally. Eternally I am OK, it is the here and now that stresses me out. It is hard at times and other times it is smooth sailing. If I get a little too weird ask me how I'm doing. I may need you to help me process. I need your support too.
I was reading the songs of David last night and Psalm 69:1-2 summed up where I am at: "Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me." I'm above water, but it is hard work staying there at times. Yet in it all there is assurance that my God is with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Jeff, I know it's going to be a long journey. We love you and want to stand with you!
ReplyDeleteJeff, I have a keen interest in your journey, for a number of reasons. Thank you for opening this up to us. Please count on my support and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI love you very much Dad, and I'm praying for you!
ReplyDelete